Monday, December 31, 2012

Live With Hope

As a Psychology major, I did an internship at the Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane my junior year in college.  What I learned there prompted me to change my major with only three quarters to graduate.

The men I met were rapists and child molestors, violent beyond what I believed possible.  They were absolutely delusional and felt compeled to act according to the voices they heard.  The depth of their disabilities was shocking, especially for a 20-year-old girl.

My point is, some people simply canot navigate this world.  They need to be confined and treated.  I think the Sandy Hook disaster is more about mental health than gun control.

I mention this because I live with the hope that we will (as a society) invest in proper care facilities for the mentally ill.  Possibly 2013 will be the year that allows us to address this issue for the safety and protection of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment