Sunday, August 5, 2012

Madden Honor

I  s uppose that I realized I was poor when we moved and I attended a public school.  In the Catholic school, the uniform was the great equalizer.  In the public school, a child wearing clothes from a thrift  store sat next to a child wearing clothes purchased at Nordstrom, or in my case, in California, I and J Magnin,  possibly Saks.

I found the display of opulence distracting.  Coming from a school where you were honored for your intellectual capabilities  and going to a school where you were honored for your appearance was an upside down world for me.

Living in Daly City  I felt everyone knew me.  I was John Madden's sister, aka:  the baby, and Earl Madden's daughter.  John played several sports including football, baseball, basketball, discus and  golf in a time when you just played sports for fun.  Dad coached baseball, was a volunteer umpire, and single-handedly visited every merchant in town soliciting donations for snacks  for The Daly City Red Sox.  In my mind, I was famous.

So, it was with an abudance of confidence that I assumed my rightful place as the best student in my class wearing the ugliest clothes.  Success is all in your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment