Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Earl Madden Continued

My dad, Earl Madden, taught me so much about conduct, like maintaining eye contact and holding my head high.  He taught me how to handle a bully. "look them in the eye and tak one step forward."  In other words, show no fear..  He was my hero, truely a good man.

He organized and coached a neighborhood baseball team for my brother, John, and his friends.  "The Daly City Red Sox" eventually evolved into a league in the pre-Little League era.  Dad even paid for their uniforms and equipment,  though my mother objected..        

"We can pay now for sorts equipment or we can spend the money on a lawyer to get the kids out of jail when they're older."

It was my favorite line from my father and I think it rings true today.  (I should note here that we lived in a pretty tough neighborhood.)

Maddens continue tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment