Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"The Age of Aquarius"

In my previous entry (Madden Penance), I may have indicated that I was a perfect child.  But, fast forward to high school and further to college - major mistakes encountered me.  It was the sixties and early seventies.  You've heard of it:  "The Dawning of the Age of Aquarius."  So, when I went to confession at the Mission in San Luis Obispo where I was a student at  Cal Poly, the priest refused to grant me absoluton unless I promised to never miss mass again (barring illness, of course.)

Remembering Father Dugan being grouchy and uncomfortable sitting in that little box for hours and recognizing that the line behind me was really long, I responded:  "I'm not going to promise that I'll never miss mass again (because that would be lying to a priest) and I'm not leaving here until you grant me absolution."

Forgiveness was given, the little sliding door slammed shut and guess what?

No penance for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment