Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Food Stamps

I was shoppng at Fred Meyer today when I noticed the woman in the checkout line in front of me was paying with food  stamps or some sort of government voucher.  She held an embarrassed  stature with her head bowed.  Her oldest daughter (about 12) lowered her eyes to the floor in shame.  Her younger daughter (about 5) sensed the tension and hugged her Mother hard with strength and support. There was so much stress in this family, I could see it when the Mother gave me a sideways glance.  There was anger in her eyes, not with me, but possibly because she lives in a society where wommen wear diamonds and carry Coach purses to the supermarket.  I guessed that, if she had a choice, she would  do anything rather than feed her family with food stamps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment