Friday, October 19, 2012

Madden Politics

When I was a child I watched the evening news with my family.  It was important to be politically informed in the Madden family.  My Dad, Earl Madden, felt it was part of who we are as Americans, Irish immigrants now free.

Even though,at the time, he had three children in the Parochial schools, he always voted for school levies and all issues pertaining to excellence in education.  (My Dad only had an eighth grade education because he had to work the family farm.)  He believed that all children belong to all of us and each deserves the best  we can offer.  When I was growing up in California, it was ranked as the number one state in education.

It was a matter of pride, a mind-set that each generation give their best to create opportunities for the future.

I met a young man tonight while I was campagning for Roger Freeman for State  Representative.  He was 30 years old and has never voted.

"What's the point?"  he asked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment