Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ownership is a Burden

I have done it.  I hired a professional organizer.  She's been helping me, off and on, discard that which I no longer need and live lovely with the things I do.  She's wonderful - Victoria - she'll be here on Thursday.

I'm not quite sure why I have no organizing skills.  It could be a brain function or a lack there of.  But, I prefer to think it's  because I was raised in a family that didn't value posessions, but rather, experiences.  Everything we had was used, broken, mended, mis-matched, passed along, and usually, worthless.

The Maddens were minimalists, with the exception of sports equipment.  We had baseball bats, gloves, catchers' masks, baseball uniforms, shin guards, cleats, basketballs, baseballs, footballs, more cleats, weights, a timing bag, heavy weight punching bag, helmets, a regulation hoseshoe pit, tennis rackets, golf clubs, croquet set, roller skates, and more.  All of this equipment lived in the garage.

So, for me to make decisions regarding the placement and value of material items is difficult.  Ownership is such a burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment