Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Madden Shoe Frenzy

Last September I was trying on shoes at Macy's and, during my consideration period, the salesgirl said:  "Try them on barefoot.  That's how you can tell if they fit."

I replied:  "What about the store policy requiring that we cover our feet with these?"

I held up what we used to call a ped, but now has morphed into some kind of sanitary, disposable foot covering for proper shoe fitting etiquette.

She said:  "No one does that anymore!"




When did they change the rule?  Where was I?  In truth, I don't consider myself a germ-a-phob, but I was raised in a family with the sock rule.  My brother, John Madden (EA Sports "Madden"; Hall of Fame Coach; Oakland Raiders; etc.,) suffered from a chronic case of Athlete's Foot.  Later in his career, he made a TV commercial for "tough actin' Tinactin" that made me smile. At any rate, everyone in the family had to wear socks in the house.

So, today I was Christmas shopping and I saw a cute pair of shoes screaming:  "Judy, Judy, Judy!"  I passed sadly.  I haven't been able to try on shoes since I learned of the rule change.

I love to collect shoes, but I hate rashes.




No comments:

Post a Comment