Thursday, November 15, 2012

Refrigerator Stew

As I clean out my refrigerator to make way for an abundance of Thanksgivng food, I remember my Mother, Mary Madden.   A survivor of the depression, she never forgot what it felt like to be hungry.  She taught me that wasting food was punishable by a stint in Hell.  I wonder if the "wasters of food" just visit Hell  and later ascend to Purgatory or Heaven?

If I left anything on my plate, I would revisit it on Saturday when she mixed it all together for refrigerator stew.  Mom didn't honor expiration dates or even mold. It all went into the soup.

Today I fnd myself enjoying excellent health.  Possibly it's because I've acquired anti-bodies from years of dining on old food.

It's like Kelly Clarkson's song:  "Whatever  doesn't kill you makes you stronger."  Refrigerator stew was part of being Madden tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment